It's a new day and you're ready to post content for your business on social media. However as you sit staring at the screen you catch yourself scrolling through the latest Guardian or Huff Post articles on Facebook and 10 minutes have past with nothing to show for your time.
Finding the focus and making your mark on social takes effort but with the right tools you'll find the way to rise above the noise and provide some real value for your audience. If you're finding yourself stuck with something to say here are my top 5 tips to help you on your way.
- Determine your objectives - what's your purpose? Do you want to get people to an event, drive traffic to your website, build your database?
- Know your audience - if you don't know who you are talking to OR where they are engaging online then you might as well be talking to a wall. Research your existing list or if just starting out create a profile of your ideal customer - age, buying habits, interests etc...
- Choose your social platform and have a strategy for each - use Facebook for updates, competitions, Instagram for behind the scenes. Don't spread yourself too thin. Choose one to start, do it well then expand.
- Set up a calendar (could be just a spreadsheet to start) and plot important dates, school holidays if it's relevant, key industry dates, product launch schedules. Add in dates when you want to send out a newsletter, write a blog post and get creative with suitable themes that will help you to develop content.
- Look at your working week and make a decision on how much time you want to invest in social media marketing. Stick with that time frame, be consistent and you will find your rhythm. Sporadic posts never work.
Remember, developing content for social media consists of creation and curation, the latter allowing you the opportunity to develop relationships with your peers and engage online. After all, the whole point of this game is to network so find your place and get started.
If you're feeling stuck and need to get in touch why not consider my Social Branding Brainstorm Session? In two hours we'll nut out what makes your business tick, unearth your unique voice and polish your creative pen. I'll prepare a social media audit and following our meeting you will receive a specially crafted report with a simple strategy to move forward and conquer your social media planning for good.
Want to find out more? I recommend checking out the following articles: